Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wrongfully Imprisoned
Here is a previous case by *** (Identity withheld for privacy reasons).

I need different state lawyers for my case. I’m trying to see how you can help because I have been through too much.

I was in an accident in 2019. I was at an intersection on Elizabeth Avenue waiting for the light to turn green. I lived down the road on the right so when the light was on red I made the right turn. I was advised that it was safe to make such a turn even if the light is red once the road is clear. When I made the turn, suddenly there was a huge vehicle that came from nowhere that could not stop and hit the side of my car doors. The doors got damaged and both doors are now unable to close properly. The police came and based on his observation he filed a report against me and gave me a ticket, which I believed was given to me wrongfully. I went to the Majestic Court to discuss the accident and the judge denied the case because the officer gave the wrong name of the other party involved and it was also the wrong person that showed up for court and was unable to answer questions the judge was asking about the accident. The judge told me the case will be transferred to the criminal division court for the ticket. My case was denied there as well and the judge ordered further investigation. On Oct 31, 2019, I called the administration office to find out if my ticket case was granted or denied, and was told my case was still denied and that they would transfer my call to the criminal division. I spoke with the manager from the criminal division and was told my case was filed with the motion. I was not a lawyer and didn't understand what that meant. The paperwork I got didn't say my case was filed with motion but I had a court date of Nov 1, 2019, at 9:00 and I wanted to confirm but the person hang up and didn’t explain anything. I called a legal group to ask about my case and when they looked up my information they informed me that my case was filed with the motion. I was also informed that since no one from the criminal division didn't explain anything to me and they weren't seeing my name listed, I would not have a hearing tomorrow. The next day, three police officers came to my house before 9:00 am and arrested me, and took me to jail. When I was in jail I hurt myself as they kept transferring me to different departments of jail. The last one I was put in the guard verbally abused me and put me in lock up for 15 days. I was given an extra-large jail uniform which caused me to slip and fell and hurt my right foot. I kept complaining to the nurse that I needed to change my uniform. The nurse came and tried to cut it with a nail cutter but it was too thick. I asked the nurse if she could get scissors but she told me that they aren’t allowed to have that in jail. I also suffered from migraine and there was no medication. I have dementia, and couldn’t remember much. I was released from jail on Aug 22, 2020. A friend kept telling me to file no contest and that they would let her out. I got a public defender who interview me for my case and he wrote a letter to the judge. I was placed with my doctor since I was released until now because of my injuries. My doctor also provided the report to the court, they have everything in there.

While I was in jail for 6 months the court sent me a notice that there is no judge on the case and they would not investigate. I also wrote letters to both the police and the judge. The letter to the police asked him a few questions such as; if the drive was illegal in this county, was the car stolen, and why was she speeding at a red light. Why he didn’t report properly? Did the car have drugs inside and if he was talking to her?  Why was there no ambulance? I was transporting my elderly (I was her caregiver) and I had to take her to the hospital and my insurance was to cover the expense. I sent a claim to my insurance company Nation Wide and they told me that they would have paid off the elderly hospital bill but they later told me that they would not be able to because I had limited tort car insurance. I reached out to State hose the insurance provider for the other party involved in the accident and State Farm told me that since my car was not drivable and unable to be repaired they would pay the whole amount but a couple of months ago I received communication from them that they won't be able to pay because of the limited tort I have with Nation Wide. The accident was not my fault and I was not paid anything for it. I don’t have a car to drive and I’m unable to work. I wrote to the court asking them to dismiss her case. I followed up by filing a lawsuit against the district attorney, the officer, and everyone involved as they had kept me in jail too long, for over seven months, and had me hurt myself. The police officer didn't investigate, I’m against the district attorney, he didn't interview me and I’m not voting for him as a judge. I’m fighting for my rights. No one wants to take my case. I’m paying county taxes and there is no legal aid for us.

I filed no contest and I showed up to court for the hearing I was placed in a wheelchair because of my injury. While the judge was reading my sentencing I had asked the district attorney and the public defender to get written documentation so I could read it and I haven’t received it. I’m still on probation and was ordered to pay $100 each month for probation. I have written a letter asking for all the money I was paying to be returned. My family is at risk of losing our home as my bail was $250k which we had to put up the house. They classified me as a terrorist threat because I kept calling. The probation council put me in the program for mental counseling. When they called my probation officer to ask why I was put on mental counseling, he said I was normal, nothing was wrong with me.

My case is now in the Supreme Court. Last Friday I called them asking if they had received my letter because I was still looking for an attorney and they told me that I  could write to them this week letting them know where I was with my case. I have some questions I would like to ask the Supreme Court and need an attorney's assistance with correcting them in English. I have all the documentation and I could fax that information to you.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.

[-]
Quick Reply