Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking lawyer to help with Trust and eviction issues
Here is a previous case by *** (Identity withheld for privacy reasons).

I'm a 77 years old man that has only Social Security and would like a lawyer to help me get m money from a trust and assist with a rental issue. I have been renting this house for 20 years and they raised the rent by 200% within 8 days after I signed a paper saying that my wife had a rental arrangement. The paper was given to me after my wife died. The paper said she had a special trust for me to clean up the mess in the house and that with the rental agreement they could raise the rent by 200%. I reached out to Legal Rights that said there is no such thing unless they are making their own laws. The reason they raised the rent by so much was to see if they could get me to move.

I hired an attorney "G" in Long Beach to help me but later found out that he was not an eviction attorney. I paid him $4000 for my eviction/rental payment issue and $3000 to assist with the trust and he did nothing to help me. The issue with the eviction was dismissed with the help of Legal Rights for LA county and I was also told that no eviction until December 2022, so I won't worry about that. What I'm more concerned about is the Trust. The trustee's attorney calls leaving me messages that they don't believe I have an attorney because they have not been hearing from him. The attorney has not done anything to help but collected my money. He told me that he had spoken to them but he didn't.

The house is now owned by my brother-in-law XXXX XXXX and he is the one doing this to me. He giving me a hard time because he hated that I used to stick up for my wife, his sister. The trust was in my mother and father-in-law's name and after the mother died they left my wife the trust. My wife fell ill with cancer and died and for her wish she wanted me and her nephew who she raised to have $300,000 each. My brother-in-law Greg didn't like that.

Before my wife died, we paid for many years $550 for rent and after her death, her brother raised the rent by $1000 and it has been raised again since so now I'm paying $1650 for rent. He raised it by 200%, then 8% and it will probably be raised again because it has been going on for years. My brother in-law takes the rent money from the trust. He got a bank account and has taken over $40,000 out of the trust. What he did with raising the rent was not legal. He should have waited 30 days and he didn't, instead, he raised it 8 days after.

I asked everybody in the family to help me and they told me that it was my problem. I had two heart attacks because of this emotional situation. They sent me nasty stuff every time I send the rent. At my age and with what I have been through I'm surprised that I'm alive. I have been stressed and this has also affected my blood pressure. After everything that I have been through I would like to get the house. I have everything in writing and can’t afford to pay an attorney because I'm out of money from paying the other attorney.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.

[-]
Quick Reply