Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disputing the amount from my sister's settlement being paid to her lawyer
Here is a previous case by *** (Identity withheld for privacy reasons).

Hi, I'm looking for an attorney that can do an appeal in San Francisco California. It has to do with attorney fees. My sister had mentioned, I believed that she was taken advantage of, signing a contract giving 50% of her settlement away and I would like to appeal it. I was surprised the judge had allowed the attorney to get away with that. The problem is, when I went to the judge I'm not an attorney so I didn't know what I was doing, so now I need an attorney to help me.

My sister’s name is XXXX XXXX. She suffers from drug addiction and alcoholism and has dementia so I was appointed by her medical health center as her temporary legal guardian. In July 2021, my sister came into a settlement of $2.5 million and her attorney wants $1.125 million and over 29K for his legal fees. The settlement was not received until Feb 2022, for a wrongful death lawsuit. My sister's son XXXX XXXX was killed by a San Francisco officer. Based on my sister's medical condition, she was taken to one of the hospitals for Sutter Medical Health where she was diagnosed by her doctor and expert XXXX F XXXX who was hired to evaluate her. The expert, as well as her doctor, confirmed that she was too compromised to understand what she was signing. Both doctors wrote a letter to the judge explaining that with her condition, she was compromised and unaware of what she was signing with the contract. I submitted the letter from the doctors to the judge which I thought would have been enough but I was told I didn’t have sufficient evidence. The doctors would be willing to also testify. 

I lost a lot of money as a small owner taking care of my sister, as she has been living in one of my spaces and I didn’t get anything. Something is going on as just yesterday they had the file sealed for the attorney and I didn’t ask for it to be sealed. The judge that decided on the Order for the attorney to get approximately 50% of the settlement is Judge XXXX from the Ninth District Court. I got an email yesterday of the Order but the physical copy has not been mailed as yet. The judge’s decision was based on the fact I didn’t have enough evidence but I have reasons to believe that the attorney and judge are friends.

The lawyer initially wanted 45% of the settlement which I didn’t agree with. They tried to lower it to over 30% but he didn’t want that and said he needed all his money. I fell out with the attorney in August 2022, after he sent me the contract. I didn’t agree with the amount he wanted so I stopped communicating with him. It can not be the right him getting almost 50% of my sister's settlement.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.

[-]
Quick Reply