Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discrimination dispute against former employer
Here is a previous case by *** (Identity withheld for privacy reason).

Hey, I want to raise an issue with a former employer exhibiting a pattern of extensive disregard concerning people of color.

Ok yeah, this is kind of like a matter that I was really unable to address at the time because of the significant pattern of disregard for people of color and their comments whenever they came regarding racism in the lack of action taken from the staff and it was also highlighted by the fact that it was a national agenda at the time and we were experiencing backlash due to the community and reporting it to staff and it created a hostile work environment. Either that or disregard to the point where tenants were suffering and just because staff didn't want to you know work with I was denied benefits that they were given to all the other workers there. I was basically left for dead in my work. I believe that some of the deaths that happened there were a direct result of the agency disregarding my pleads and cries and paperwork and stating the conditions of the place. It was a trial project and it was the first one done in the nation and they were getting a lot of coverage and so they would just usher me out of the way and all in this attempt to kind of gloss everything over and make it look really good for this national coverage and they were trying to save money to show that was cost-effective. People died, people got stabbed in the face, women got raped and all kinds of stuff, and nothing was done and after reporting a heinous work environment for a whole calendar year I tried to transfer out of there and was basically told I couldn't do that either and so I just had a meltdown and and you know everything's documented you know. I even had to use my own equipment because this company that I was working for today you know they had a staff member there and several people of color were persecuted solely on the color of their skin because at the time there was that uproar of black lives matter and you know it was happening right around our job and the the the staff there that were you know Caucasian they were they were acting now making comments and creating this really hostile work environment and they even got to the point where they were having us work like slaves and they actually use that terminology they use the terminology will whip you in the back will will take you out to the whipping post all these comments were were you you people shouldn't have any problem working that kind of comments were made we were being supervised by another person of color who was so afraid to report anything that he he started telling us to stop reporting stuff and to keep it in house and he was afraid to lose his job and and it was just making it where we were stuck in this bubble where he is things were happening and we weren't able to report it and there was a union rapping and you know and when they finally did something about it it was so far gone the the more I was so far gone and the minimal steps they took basically negated the whole thing and after this person got transferred out that's when the sexual comment started and it was just a horrible place to be and I was forced to transfer out from that job just to get away from that building and I ended up going to a place where it was just me and me being a person of color I was totally disregarded for the whole calendar year and they gave me the sick and the dying people to work with and I'm just I was just kind of scared to report it because they're towed it as being like this really cool agency in Portland but truth of the matter is that they they they it was a cash grab and they did not care about the living conditions of the the residents there I mean we were we were reporting you know there was a there was a time where the lights went out for 4 days and you know everybody's food was was riding and going bad and everybody was sick and and they had people in wheelchairs stuck it on top of stairs when the elevator go out and and they just forgot about them and I you know it's reporting that transportation needs need to be met I had case managers just dumping people there regardless of their physical health because they were getting pressured by the company to move them and they put and they and they misrepresented the way they were housing they misrepresented what I said it was just a horrible thing and I just now come up with you know the way to put all in the words I've just been traumatized the last death there was blatantly blames on me and it took a very deep emotional toll on me so I like to take this as far as we have to but I believe that I deserve some compensation and and I mean if we go back just to the racist comments it wasn't just me it was it was it was it was all of us and we were told if we didn't like the comments that we should just ignore it and work harder while our supervisor asks us are we giving each other head at the desk and were reporting these comments and nothing's being done a full calendar year of hands down the worst I

And if you Google my name which is XXXX XXXX does it article that's going to come up about this brand new shiny the manager at that place was going crazy on the job as well and she needs to probably be named in this as well the lack of caring concern the lack of regard her company she took pity was told that I need to use my credit card to buy stuff for the residents and I was never reimbursed. I mean it was stuff like that.

Yeah, you are aware I'm a former employee correct? I think they documented some of it in a very minimal way but you know they don't know some of the other stuff like we are told by our manager that we were not to go to the supervisors anymore and a lot of that stuff was continued to perpetuate because we weren't allowed to tell anyone and if we did tell anyone we were punished on the job. Like there were days where I was made to scrub and clean everything and it was just because I had like try to tell on a co-worker for some racism or a sexual comment or a supervisor being high or anything like that and he was retaliating and there were several times where the managers would be there in like the manager's boss will be there and I'd want to say something but anyone.

Definitely and it got so bad that even some of the co-workers were noticing that they had most of the people of color all working in one place together and then they would just run it like we'd all travel around all these other shelters and you know the one we were working at you know it was just nobody wanted to work there because you know it was just it was always a racism thing there and it was always you know we're being like forced into this like really hard labor for hours on end because we're black. It was never stated that way it was stated oh we just have this special project for you but it's always after we report some kind of foul thing and then the next day we're forced to like you know organize peas and you know just the dumbest remedial stuff or sent home early you know for telling on a supervisor for being high on the job or whatever.

I don't know what you guys can do but it's like I'm still being affected by that. You know that was my life, that was my livelihood, that was my favorite, that was my passion so I don't know what to do. Maybe you guys can help me, but I think I do want to seek monetary damage and there are other employees that some of them still working there and they're still putting up with it and you know one day we come basically.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.

[-]
Quick Reply