Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tenant wants to sue landlord
Here is a previous case by *** (Identity withheld for privacy reason).

I am a landlord in San Francisco looking to find an affordable lawyer. I had already went through mediation with my tenant XXXX XXXX but she is now pursuing to take the matters to court. However, the issues that she is complaining about have already been resolved. I rented upstairs a one-bedroom apartment to her and her three children and she made a complaint to the rent board about the garbage that was downstairs in the backyard that it should not be there. She doesn't have access to the backyard only the tenant downstairs does as this is her back bedroom. The only access that she has is to the side gate. She told the mediator that I told her she could use the backyard but she has never used it. The backyard also has always been used by the tenant downstairs and there is nothing in our contract that states the tenant upstairs has access to the backyard. Also, there is no place for her to go in the backyard. There is no patio, no furniture, nothing but grass and weeds. I offered her $2000 as well as a rent reduction of $100 per month for the next year and she decline the offers. Instead, she would like to sue me for 50K. The  issue with the garbage was taken care of as I had asked the tenant downstairs to clean it up and she has done so. It took some time to remove the garbage because the tenant downstairs has five children and she only lives there part-time as she has to travel back and forth from Sacramento and San Francisco because her mother helps with taking care of her children. She also had four complaints and that could be why she is asking for more money.

She complained about the leak in her living room since she moved in, in 2017. My husband went throughout the years inspecting it and there was no leak but he patched the living room ceiling.

There was a storm in Oct 2021 and there was a big leak in her kitchen and water was coming from the roof into her kitchen which she showed me videos and pictures of the water running. We were out of town so we mentioned to her to get an estimate for immediate repairs. When we came back I immediately called several roofers to get an estimate for a brand new roof and scheduled an appointment with them to change the entire roof. There is now a brand new roof that was done by a licensed roofer. The whole time we were in communication with her, letting her know the updates and she was corporative.

In September we were on a cruise and the water heater from the tenant downstairs busted and the water squirted upstairs and wet her stairs and she complained about the water and the steam. We changed the runner and plastic and everything was repaired.

She has been a good tenant, the only reason she is trying to sue is because of the neighbor and friends telling her to do so. My husband is a Vietnamese veteran and we are seniors on a fixed income. Everything was taken care of so I don't know why she would want to sue for 50K. There has not yet been a court date, so I'm hoping she does not file the lawsuit.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.

[-]
Quick Reply