Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Claim against property owner for money owed on contract work
Here is a previous case by *** (Identity withheld for privacy reason).

I need help with a  court case coming up on February 17th, 2022 and I would like to find a pro bono lawyer. This is an ongoing case regarding real estate. I was hired on contract to rebuild some parts of a property and restore a piece of property under code violation in Los Angeles. I hired a team of contractors to do the job and was supposed to be paid for work done but was never paid. I filed a claim against the owner of the property XXXX XXXX who was also a friend and someone I was living with after my horrible car accident that gave me brain injury. After the accident, he offered for me to come and stay with him but later said that I didn't need to pay him anymore because the house was in a horrible state. I worked with him for two years and he promised to pay me. This took one year and 9 months and I was never paid. I was owed 160 thousand dollars that I filed a claim for. I had a trial on May 13, 2019. The judge was nasty to me and didn't give me the case and the owner of the property later passed after he was taken to court. I was supposed to add his niece XXXX XXXX to the lawsuit but the judge gave me problems adding her, so I'm suing her separately. We have been to court several times and she has not showed up, but the judge said to give her more time.

I hired an attorney in April of last year, told him everything I was dealing with and that I needed someone to take over from me, and answered when would be the tentative ruling. I had been to court for 5-6 times in front of a judge. I asked for jury trial and he didn't allowed it. I didn't understand what tentative ruling was to change the date and go to Court. I had a brain injury and was getting confused. XXXX XXXX was the lawyer I hired. He charged $7000 and I paid him $4500. The lawyer didn't help, he didn't answer when was the tentative ruling or change the date. I felt he was intimated by the judge and I had to go to court by myself. The lawyer didn't helped me and I would like to get my money back from him as well. I don't know if this should be handled by small claims or arbitration.

I received a letter from the Registered Office in Huntington Beach that state that I was the junior lean holder for the property going in foreclosure. XXXX XXXX had gotten a lawyer pertaining to this because I had a lean on the property. XXXX XXXX was the executor of the property. I had nothing with the niece. After XXXX XXXX passed, the niece XXXX XXXX was added to the lawsuit. I have also lowered the claim amount to $80 thousand dollars, thinking that would be fair.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.

[-]
Quick Reply